24 February 2009

Poultry Magic!


After getting over the trauma of losing one of our chickens last week I am finally getting back to enjoying going out to feeding and watering them. I think I could sit and watch them clucking about indefinitely. We’re starting to get a good crop of eggs from them considering it’s only just beginning to be spring time and hopefully their outside coop will be finished soon so we can finally get them out into the garden without fear of them being taken by foxes. Currently they’re in a big room in our shed with open windows for fresh air, plenty of sawdust for them to scratch around in, some chicken acrobatic apparatus for them to hop about on and keep themselves occupied and a few nesting boxes which they are most definitely using!

We’ve a handful of pheasants now too, although I’m not so sure about the likelihood of getting any eggs off them we’re definitely hoping for more pheasants to emerge! They are unfortunately still very flighty and are definitely not used to us yet so we try to disturb them as little as possible and hopefully they’ll settle down into their new home soon. I’m still not 100% sure how many pheasants we actually have as they are really good at hiding – every time I go down and count them I never get the same amount but I reckon maybe we have 5 (1 male and 4 females).

I’m not sure how many more birds my hubby intends to bring home to inhabit our back garden but I’m pretty sure this isn’t the last of it! I did hear talk of turkeys at one stage but we’ll have to see about that…

3 comments:

Darwi said...

lol, perhaps they phase in and out our time-space continuum, so therefore you cannot count them. ;)

Anonymous said...

i bet those eggs taste great!!!

Loopy Loo said...

Mmm... they are so much more tasty than the ones you buy in the supermarket :-D