12 June 2008

Not another f*cking flower….


I went the way of the cheapskate (ahem... shouldn't I really be saying artistic creative???) with the invitations and thought I would make them myself. I do have to admit that they are rather lovely but so very, very time consuming! All together we have approximately 70 invitations to send out for the day time part of our wedding i.e. the ceremony and the meal and an as yet unknown quantity of evening
invitations. We’re using gorgeous textured Indian cotton which rather likes to jam in the printer so I have to feed each sheet through individually – not too bad, a bit boring but do-able. That was the easy part, next there are 3 beautiful but rather fragile flowers to be stuck to each day time invitation and one on each evening invitation! Out come the tweezers and the glue dots. Glue dots are fabulous things, one tiny little glue dot sticks a flower to the invitation and there the flower stays. Forever!

Therein lies the problem; the glue dots are just a little too sticky…

Out come the tweezers to lift the glue dots from the roll but it’s a very delicate operation, pull too hard and the glue dot comes away from the roll but snaps back in on itself and becomes useless or rips, pull too softly and the blimmin things won’t come away from the roll at all. Then if you don’t stick it to the page just right there is no taking the glue dot off without ripping a swathe out of the page. Thank goodness Indian cotton paper is a bit rough looking anyway!

So far I am winning but I’ve had to order more supplies and can’t get everything finished just yet. I failed to factor in losses due to breakages, printer problems and the fact that it just wasn’t as easy to get everything right first time as I had anticipated! Oh, and never mind the fact that all the envelopes I ordered have no sticky bit to close them so I’ve had to order in a load of envelope seals as well!

I’m hoping that at least by posting this someone will read about my mistakes and they maybe won’t make them too! Oh well, maybe I’ll get the invitations out by the end of next week instead! Keep your fingers crossed for me!!!

On a last aside I’m feeling a bit less stressed now I have something productive to do, I think sitting around waiting and waiting and knowing that there’s nothing more I can do but wait has been driving me a little bonkers. Only 2 months and 14 days to go now, somehow that makes the fact that it’s Friday the 13th today
(eek!) a little better!

No comments: